WHAT MADE US FEEL GOOD THIS WEEK?


Sunday, June 28, 2009

Movie Shoot Experiences, World Class Goals, And A Heartening Gesture From Tebogo.

*    A spotlight being shone on our branch( The Glen mall) this past week. We experienced some 'lights,camera and action'. A company called MOTION PICTURES came to shoot a movie in our branch this past Wednesday and Thursday. This movie was actually a DVD meant for internal training purposes.
   We - as staff - had bit parts to play in it. And I must admit that  I loved being part of this movie shoot experience. The many 'takes', the 'clap its' and the occasional fluffing of 'lines', were an eye-opener for. Now I know what it takes to be an actor. The pressure to say your lines correctly when the camera is on you, is unbelievable. One simple line which you can easily say when not on camera gets you tongue-twisted when the cameras start rolling.
   I have a new respect for all the actors out there after walking in their shoes this
week. Having said that, I must say I admire how patient the director - Mr Kobus Swart - was with all of us. Through all those many re-takes he never lost his 'cool' even once. The main actress in our scene - Dierdre Van Rooy - did well with her part too. She had to do several different readings in the script. And she 'represented'.
  As for the branch staff in our scene, I must give my praise to Valentine. She was the Queen of all the '1-liners'. She must have said her line( "So, that was my day.") more than 10 times through the re-takes and yet she never fluffed it even once. 'Nice one' as well to the other '1-line' colleague - Laurinda( our branch manager).


* South Africa may have failed to make it to the final of the Confederations Cup
final, but Bafana Bafana can hold their heads high. They made Brazil - the 5 times World Champions - sweat for their 1-0 victory.
But what about this goal that sank Bafana. The Daniel Alves free kick was from the top, top drawer of free kicks. It was a marvel to watch. The technique was world class.
The ball curled around the man wall as if it was going outside, then it came back to sail past our goalkeeper's outstretched left arm and went into the right hand corner of the net. Awesome!
To lose to a goal like this is no shame.


* Being a receipient of an act of magnanimity from my street neighbour here in my
'kasi'(Protea North). Her name is Tebogo.
The other Monday(of the the wildcat taxi strike here in Soweto) I 'bumped' into her in our street in the morning as I made my way to the bus stop. She was going back home.She informed me that there were no taxis because of a taxi strike.She had been to the bus stop herself and they had waited for taxis for ages, in vain.
It was the first time I had heard of this taxi strike.And I was not too pleased.On the very first day that I was going back to work after an annual leave there was suddenly the possibility that I may not even report for duty due to lack of transport.
But Tebogo not only gave me an insight into a potential transport problem, she also provided me with a solution to it. She had decided to go and fetch her car at home and use it to get to work, and she offered me a lift to town( Johannesburg CBD) in it.
Along the way we were picking up some of her friends who were stranded too.
This generosity of spirit from Tebogo took my breath away.
"May you be blessed in all your endeavours, my sister."


THANK YOU UNIVERSE. THANK YOU FOR OUR 'FEEL GOOD MOMENTS'.


==========================================

Our FEEL GOOD poem of the week:


Now We Know
___________

We know now.
Acting is not as simple.
We know now that actors work hard.
We know now what performance anxiety is.
Now we know.
Why a 30-minute soapie takes a whole day to shoot.
Why a patient director is a blessing.
Now we know why this is called work.
We know now.
Hats off to you.
You the greats of acting.
The De Niros of the silver screen.
The Denzils of this world.
Hats off too.
To the new kids on the block.
The Dierdres.
The Valentines.
Now we know.


================================


SO, SOUTH AFRICA AND THE WORLD OUT THERE, WHAT MADE YOU

FEEL GOOD THIS WEEK?

Let us know at - feelgoodmovement@gmail.com
=====================================



No comments: